From Ringgold, Georgia, USA:

One year ago, my eight year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. There is no history of diabetes on either side of my family or my husband's family. Today, one year later, our 11 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes, which leads me to believe now that the diabetes could be environment related. What factors in the environment can contribute to the development of diabetes?

Many environmental factors have been postulated, but none confirmed. Cats frequently get diabetes so this could just be an odd coincidence.