From Double Oak, Texas, USA:

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been self-monitoring my blood sugars and ketones for about a month due to a borderline three hour glucose test result. My blood sugars have been within normal range fairly consistently, but I am having other complications from my diet plan including moderate/large amounts of ketones in my urine and stomach cramping coupled with what seems to be fat in my stools. Am I suffering from fat malabsorption or lack of adequate caloric intake? If so, how do I change this without messing up my sugar levels?

During pregnancy ketones are commonly present in urine due to a lower kidney threshold for spilling ketones along with an increased metabolic state. In this setting, it does not indicate ketoacidosis and can be corrected by increasing your calorie intake slightly. I am not sure how to comment on the presence of fat in your stool. This can be associated with pancreatitis although you would usually have more dramatic abdominal pain. I would suggest that your symptoms be evaluated further by your physician.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes