Question:

From Dublin, Ireland:

I have been diagnosed as being at risk for diabetes. I have started dieting and exercising. I immediately started a tough diet by giving up all items including sugar, all mayonnaise and salad dressings plus all biscuits and cakes. Since starting this diet five weeks ago, I have lost 7 pounds. I am 5 feet, 7 inches in height and now weigh 12 stones (168 pounds). My dietitian wants me to lose 2 stones (28 pounds). I feel this is impossible. Since starting the diet I my legs feel completely exhausted and tired. I cannot get motivated to move sometimes because they are so tired, which does not help with the exercise. Do you have any advice?

Answer:

In view of your symptoms, I would see your physician. Low carbohydrate and high protein diets can have certain side effects on the muscles. I would check with your physician to see if you need laboratory tests to monitor your kidney function, muscle breakdown and thyroid function. I would certainly speak with your dietitian to possibly modify the diet. You may want to lose weight at a slower pace and improve your muscle strength.

ABS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2