Question:

From Sydney, NSW, Australia:

One Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) test, followed by another FPG and a two hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT), and you can be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. However, what tests are available to say you are not diabetic? For instance, if I am not on medications or insulin, and I take another two hour OGTT and FPG test, and the results are normal, am I still considered diabetic?

Answer:

The diagnosis of diabetes, either type 1 or type 2 depends on the glucose levels, generally. Other tests could include C-peptide and insulin levels and antibody levels for type 1 and LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults). One could have an abnormal test, follow a diet and exercise and improve control to the point of a normal two hour postprandial and fasting. The diagnosis of diabetes remains, but it is now under control with diet and exercise.

ABS

Posted to Type 2