From Elyria, Ohio, USA:

My friend recently chided me (actually the word she used was "stupid") about not wearing a medical identification bracelet because I am a diabetic. I am, however, type 2 and under pretty good control, which means I'm not likely to have the critical lows an insulin-dependent diabetic would. I keep a card in my wallet, friends and family know my condition and what to do if there's a problem. When I am traveling away from home, I actually write on my chest or arm information with a permanent marker. This is a trick I picked up from an epileptic friend of mind. I don't have any particular reason for not having one except laziness and not ordering one. Those readily available often just say "Diabetic" without specifying type 2 and that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. So, settle the argument for us, huh! Am I stupid for not having one or should I tell her to mind her knitting?

Writing on your chest seems a bit radical to me. What do you write? Type 2 diabetes, no insulin? What? Emergency medical personnel are not looking for writing on your chest BUT they are looking for a medical ID. I strongly suggest you order a MedicAlert Brand bracelet or necklace and wear it intermittently if you choose. Stainless steel is fine. The necklace is much easier to take on and off unless you get the new twistaflex bracelet. The ID tells us all of your contact information and all of your health problems by calling their database collect and saves us valuable time guessing. It could save your life.

[Editor's comment: See also Medical Identification Products on our web site. BH]

Posted to Other and Type 2