Question:

From Fall River, Nova Scotia, Canada:

When I saw an endocrinologist, she put me on hydrochlorothiazide, 25mg, and Altace, 5mg, for elevated blood pressure. On the weekend, I was reading and read that hydrochlorothiazide had been found to elevate blood glucose. In fact, it has also been found to bring on diabetes in non-diabetics. Anyone have anymore info on this fact? I have had headaches most days, too.

Answer:

Please note that the effect of hydrochlorothiazide to induce elevated blood sugars is dose-dependant. It is based on the induction of low potassium levels. At the current dose, your physician has chosen a dose that has a history of success in treating high blood pressure without a significant effect on glucose levels. Do not be alarmed.

Posted to Other and Hyperglycemia and DKA