From Greetham Leics, United Kingdom:

I was diagnosed early this year with type 2 diabetes, but memory of the symptoms tells me I've had the problem over 10 years. Since diagnosis, my "readings" have gone down dramatically from a heart stopping high to well within the acceptable band. I'm on an oral medication and am rigorous in my diet control.

Yet, the pain from the neuropathy has increased in inverse proportion and it now is very considerable. Some literature and opinions of my clinic hint that this indicates an actual improvement in the nerves and that there is the real possibility that, in one or two years, the pain will subside to nothing or all almost nothing. What is your opinion?

With improvement of glucose control, neuropathy progression can be halted, however, improvement is individual. I would continue to maintain your control and discuss the pain with your physician. There are medications that can help. Hopefully, your pain will diminish and the neuropathy will improve.

Posted to Type 2 and Complications