From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

Both my husband and one year old son have type 1 diabetes. I have recently read that with the ABO factor, the risk of developing type 1 increases, if the high risk genes run in their family. My son had this type of jaundice. I have blood type O- and have the Rh factor and my husband is A+. Our son's blood type is A-. Does this increase the risk dramatically of our next child having the chance of being diabetic?

We did have genetic testing done through a University and when all added up, our chances with their test concluded that we had a 7% chance of our next child developing diabetes. They did not take any blood type into factor or that my child developed it so early (15 months of age). I understand that these numbers are all statistical, but I am extremely concerned about our next child developing it and we would like to have another.

You should discuss all this directly with your diabetes team since they would then have the specific information upon which to give you individual counseling. Any general answer is too nonspecific to be of much help. Sorry. General risks are about 2-4% from mother to child, about 3-6% for father to child; about 2-5% for first degree siblings. Chromosome identity increases the risks, but then something else that we do not really understand in the environment must also occur. It could be wheat gluten exposure, cow milk protein exposure, viruses and perhaps other factors, as well. A separate decision has to take into account the known and unknown risks and some emotional decision about future children having diabetes. For some, this is not so easy to decide; for others, adoption is an alternative as is becoming a foster parent; and, for others there are many other emotional, family, religious factors to be considered. Go and talk to your own team since they know you and your family and also know the details of the current test results.