Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

My son is 12 and is entering full blown puberty. His blood sugars have gotten hard to control. Anyone have any suggestions how to get a better grip on them? He takes NPH and Humalog injections twice a day. His last A1C was 7.0, but I know it is going up now. He is tall for his age, 5'10" and weighs 125.

Answer:

An A1c of 7.0 isn't so bad. Have you considered a more intensive scheme with more injections? How about an insulin pump? You should consult your diabetes team about these other options.

Otherwise, just keep up the good work. You need to watch his food and encourage activity.

Posted to Puberty and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c