From Sydney, Australia:

I am 32 years old, 120 kilograms (about 264 pounds), 185 centimeters (about 6') tall. I went for a blood test, and was informed it was high, 8.6 mmol/L [157 mg/dl]. I then went for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) and got these results:

Fasting 9.1 mmol/L [163 mg/dl]
One hour 16.9 mmol/L [304 mg/dl]
Two hour 14.9 mmol/L [268 mg/dl]
A1c 7.5

The doctor said I had diabetes, and asked whether I wanted medications. I said I would try diet and exercise first. I also asked whether being sick with the cold and flu for the last month, eating poorly because of a holiday and not exercising might affect these results. I also had no symptoms of diabetes. He said no.

I saw a dietitian and bought a glucometer the very next day. Readings where between 6.5 to 7 mmol/L [117 to 126 mg/dl] fasting, and under 8 mmol/L [around 140 mg/dl], two hours after about 100 grams of pasta, two days after the diagnosis.

Within three weeks, I had lost about 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds), started exercising, and started getting fasting readings of about 6 mmol/L [108 mg/dl] and 8 mmol/L [144 mg/dl] two hours after meals. I went for a second opinion, and was sent for another OGTT. Got these readings:

Fasting 5.8 mmol/L [284 mg/dl]
One hour 13.1 mmol/L [236 mg/dl]
Two hour 7.9, mmol/L [142 mg/dl]

The diagnosis was Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT).

After three months, my fasting levels are around the 5.1 mmol/L [92 mg/dl] mark and two hours after meals, I am around 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl] (still about 100 grams of carbohydrates per meal). I went for the three month consultation with my original doctor, and pleaded for the OGTT to see how I was doing. These where the readings:

Fasting 5.2 mmol/L [94 mg/dl]
One hour 10.2 mmol/L [184 mg/dl]
Two hour 5.8 mmol/L [104 mg/dl]
A1c 5.3

I had lost 10 kilograms (about 22 pounds) at this point.

Based on this, can you tell me if I am diabetic, in remission maybe? I know that once you are, then you always will be, but can a diabetic with no medications who exercises and loses weight, get such a big change in results within three months?

Diet and exercise are the cornerstones of diabetes treatment. You can be in control with these two modalities and not need medications. You do have diabetes, not in remission, but in control. I would continue your diligence and follow up with your physician regularly.

Posted to Type 2 and Weight and Weight Loss