From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I am over 35 year old and have type 2 diabetes. I take insulin and am overweight, but I am working to lose weight. I would like to get pregnant in six months. First, I need more information about pregnancy with diabetes and being over 35. I had two children when I was in my 20s, but this would be my first pregnancy with diabetes. I know that you need to have your sugar under very tight control so the baby will not suffer any deformation or health condition. I know also that the woman may have high blood pressure during and after the pregnancy.

What other health risks are there during pregnancy and after pregnancy? Will my diabetes get worse after pregnancy? What are the chances of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby?

If you can get your blood sugars under good control prior to conception, that will minimize the risk to the developing embryo. You should also have an eye and kidney examination, if it has been some time since your last one. If you go into the pregnancy in good health, most likely you will stay that way. However, you are at increased risk of developing preeclampsia and needing an early delivery. Your diabetes will not get any worse due to the pregnancy. It is very possible to get through a pregnancy with diabetes as long as you are being managed by the appropriate specialists.

Posted to Family Planning