Question:

From Knoxville, Tennessee, USA:

My husband was diagnosed with congestive heart failure five years ago and was put on many medications, including Coreg, digoxin, Acupril, and Lasix. After a few months, he began having elevated glucose levels. His regular doctor said he had type 2 diabetes. He has not been able to get his blood sugar completely under control with oral medications. Could the high blood sugar levels be a side effect of his heart medications? And, is having type 2 diabetes something that would prevent him from being put on a heart transplant list?

Answer:

Some of the medications in the list actually have been shown to prevent diabetes (i.e. Acupril). Coreg, a beta blocker, can be diabetogenic in susceptible patients. I would not say they cause diabetes. They are required medications and it would not be good to stop the medications. As far as the transplant list, I think that depends on the criteria set up at the center you are looking at. They should be able to tell you that. I am not sure of that.

Posted to Type 2 and Other