Question:

From New York, USA:

My 14 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for three years. His A1cs have been 6.1, usually. Today, he went to the doctor and she told him he only grew 0.2 of an inch in the last three months and this was probably because of high sugars. He has been going to camp the last month and doing a lot of sports. He also has been doing sit ups and bike riding. Do you think this could be the reason for this small amount of growth. Is it just a fluke? I am so upset and worried! At the last three month visit, he had grown 1.75 inches in three months. She had me and my son crying in the office.

Answer:

There are two issues here: 1) Does your son still have a low A1c or has his control slipped a great deal during the summer? If so, then, has he been taking his insulin regularly? Many teenagers don't. 2) Don't worry about short term fluctuations in rate of growth. Growth does happen in spurts so wait until next time. In addition, the measurement in clinic conditions is not always accurate so some variation has to be put down to this.