Question:

From Twizel, New Zealand:

My son is three and a half. His bowel movements are very runny and not that nice smelling. Often, the stools are often loose. His moods are very intense. He has major tantrums, which I haven't seen so severe in a child that age so often. Are there any diabetes related reasons he could be like this?

Answer:

There is no described link between type 1 diabetes and loose stools. It could be the first sign of a concurrent illness called Celiac disease, which is an intolerance to gluten. I suggest you ask your diabetes team to check your child for the antibodies typical of this disease (anti-gluten, anti-endomisium and anti-translutaminase antibodies).

AS

Posted to Celiac