Question:

From Perth, Australia:

I have had the symptoms of diabetes for about eight months. I am unsure as I haven't lost any weight, but I am taking a smaller size in clothes. I am 18 years old 5 feet, 8 inches, approximately 67 kilograms (about 148 pounds), and quite muscular.

I am quite thirsty, generally drinking two to three liters before lunch, more if I am participating in sports. I need to urinate quite often and tend to get tired a lot more quickly than I used to. I am heavily involved in rowing,

I haven't been to the doctor in over a year, but went to donate blood the other day. They tested my iron level, which was high. They also tested my blood pressure and it was 138/126. They told me it was probably nerves so they re-tested me 15 minutes later and it was around the same level. I was then unable to donate blood because it was too high. My friend was worried and asked if I should get it checked out. The nurse said not to worry as it was probably nerves, but I didn't feel nervous.

Is high blood pressure a symptom that can occur with diabetes? Would the finger prick test pick up blood sugar levels when I did the iron test? I have read the symptoms and have all the type one symptoms except weight loss.

Answer:

Given your symptoms, I would not hesitate to seek an evaluation from a physician. High iron levels could be a sign of hemochromatosis, a liver abnormality which has diabetes as one its complications. This is known as "bronze" diabetes. There is an accumulation of iron which affects both the liver and pancreas.

I would see a physician and obtain a glucose level, an iron level and other tests.

ABS