From New Jersey, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for seven years. No one in my family has it. I am a 25 year old male. I take three shots of Humalog daily and one shot of Lantus. About seven months ago, I began to get ingrown hairs on my neck, upper chest and beard line. I have also noticed weird scattered hair growths all over my body for a couple years now. My doctors says the ingrown infection is related to my hormones. I have been treating the infections with no improvement through a dermatologist. Can the insulin I take be affecting my hormones? If so, what type of insulin can I take that won't cause these hormone changes in my body?

It is unlikely that the insulin is the cause of this problem. Skin and hair abnormalities are found with diabetes, but I have not heard of this particular problem. There are other endocrine diseases that can cause hair and acne formation. I would discuss this with your physician and if you are not getting any answers, I would ask to be referred to a "university" hospital with research capabilities.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Other