From Gas City, Indiana, USA:

My son recently underwent a five hour glucose tolerance test. The doctor told me it was slightly low and had a rounded curve. She explained it as being hypoglycemic and told me the only thing to do was change his diet to high protein, five or six meals a day and not a lot of sweets and snacks.

I went today and bought a blood sugar kit to test his blood sugar myself, to keep track of how it does. Today was the first day I used it. Before breakfast, it was 57 mg/dl [3.2 mmol/L]. After breakfast, it was 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L]. After lunch, it was 95 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. Before supper, it was 68 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]. After supper, it was 146 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L] and a few hours later, it was 159 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L].

What I don't understand is that he showed no symptoms of his blood sugar being too low. Is this normal or is it something I should talk to my doctor about? I don't even know what a normal level should be for a 56 1/2 pound seven year old boy should be. The pharmacist said that 80 to 120 mg/dl [4.4 to 6.7 mmol/L] was normal for adults. What should it be for my son?

Your son does not have diabetes so we can't offer specific advice. However, you haven't said why your son was having a prolonged glucose tolerance test in the first place. It sounds to me like he is a normal boy, but you should seek an adequate explanation of the results from the doctor who conducted the study.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia