From Miami, Florida, USA:

My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about thee weeks ago. His first reading at the doctor's office was 470 mg/dl [26.1 mmol/L]. We were giving him two shots a day of Humalog and NPH. As of Monday, 7/26, his fasting morning readings have been in the 90's mg/dl [5.0 to 5.6 mmol/L] without insulin injections. His levels go a little higher sometimes during the afternoon and back down again during the night. We have since then stopped all shots. What is going on?

The most common thing that happens to a child with recent onset of insulin-dependent diabetes is called the honeymoon period. It means that the residual function of the cells producing insulin in the pancreas is sufficient to cover the glycemic fluctuations in your child's body. This situation usually lasts from few months to a couple of years, at best. It is uncommon for a person with insulin-dependent diabetes to stop needing all shots, but it is not impossible. I suggest you check his blood sugar levels regularly so you can restart the insulin shots when he will need them.

Posted to Honeymoon and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections