Question:

From Hobe Sound, Florida, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years and I have used a pump for the last five. For the last six months, I have had many problems with my injection sites and I'm convinced that I have run out of site areas due to scar tissue. Is having scar tissue removed the only alternative that I have? Have pump companies come out with any new technology to help with this problem?

Answer:

I have worked with patients who have not rotated their sites with pump therapy and developed severe lipohypertrophy. It is a severe problem. The goal would be to try and find an area that is not involved. If there are none, I have had patients see a plastic surgeon. Beware: Insurance companies have trouble determining whether this is a cosmetic procedure or a therapeutic procedure. It is also not clear that after surgery, this will normalize insulin absorption.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Complications