Question:

From Seattle, Washington, USA:

When I have a low blood sugar episode down in the 35 to 45 mg/dl [1.9 to 2.5 mmol/L] range, I get a strange symptom that I've never heard of. I get sort of a cramping pain in the pelvic area, possibly bladder, very similar to menstrual cramps. In fact, I'm lucky because it's been this pain that has subtly awakened me in the middle of the night when I've been low, in time to get some sugar into my system. It only occurs when I'm quite low and it goes away immediately when my blood sugar begins rising again. Do you have any idea what the pain could be from? How could low blood sugar cause this? My doctor has no idea.

Answer:

I am not sure what this is from. Bowel or bladder symptoms are most likely, but why they are is not clear to me either.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Hypoglycemia