Question:

From New York, USA:

I am 20 years old and have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) with pre-diabetes, both diagnosed last year. I take Glucophage XR (500 mg, 2 tablets daily). I have read that with Glucophage XR, one might have soft, usually white, masses in their stool. I have soft oval, orange masses that come out in my stool, which has been happening on a regular basis for the past couple months. This started when I switched from regular Glucophage to the Glucophage XR.

Answer:

What you are describing is normal. Since Glucophage XR is very long acting, the outer shell (or casing) of the pill is eliminated as a soft mass in your stool that may look like the original tablet. What is eliminated is the INACTIVE ingredients only, the active ingredients to control your diabetes and PCOS is already absorbed before you eliminate the casing.

JS

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2