Question:

From New York, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in September 2001. The school she attends has 500 students. Since the school installed a cell phone antenna and a generator on its roof, in 1999, one student per year has been diagnosed with this. Is there any research about the relationship between the antenna and the diagnoses?

Answer:

I presume that you are wondering if exposure to microwaves from the cell antenna is leading to increased development of diabetes in your area. There is a lot of research into the causes of diabetes. I am not aware of any link to radio waves, microwaves, x-rays, etc. Nevertheless, if you have questions about an emerging pattern of diabetes in your school, you could contact your local health department to start, or the local School of Public Health at the nearest medical school or University, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta regarding any information that they could provide.

There are a couple of epidemiologic projects going on in several states, although I do not know if your state health department is involved. One such project with which I am familiar is called SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

I am not aware of any research regarding this as a cause for type 1 diabetes. Although this sounds like a lot, the incidence of new cases of type 1 diabetes needs to be taken into account. I would contact your state department of health for more information regarding regional incidence of new cases of type 1 diabetes. You could find someone interested in public health who might be able to talk this over with you and make more sense out of it.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

There is no evidence anywhere in the world that electromagnetic waves such as a cell phone antenna cause diabetes. It's an interesting theory, but there is just no scientific proof of any linkage except coincidence when common things happen together commonly.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other