From Durham, North Carolina, USA:

I am 5 feet, 5 inches and weigh 179 pounds. I have had diabetes for 20 years with no kidney disease or any problems. I am trying to lose weight. I have recently lost 11 pounds. I have two Slim Fast low carbohydrate drinks a day, which contain 20 grams of protein and 9 grams fat (1.5 grams are saturated, other is monosaturated). My dinner usually consists of vegetables, a salad and 1 or 2 ounces of cheese, or a small chicken breast. Am I getting too much protein a day? Am I stressing my kidneys? I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. I want to continue to lose weight, but maybe a little slower. I swim at least two to three times a week, at least 20 laps at a time.

Low carbohydrate or no carbohydrate diets are not optimal for individuals with diabetes as they put "stress" on the kidney function. I would check with your physician and have him test your blood and urine for protein loss and kidney function.

I would also discuss your diet with a dietician and have them monitor your progress. This would allow you to make changes if any of your labs or clinical condition warrants it.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Complications