Question:

From Hendricks, Minnesota, USA:

I am a new Head Start teacher and have several children in my clientele that either have high blood sugar or weight issues. I want to be sure that I am giving them adequate and appropriate nutrition during our snack time. Also, I want to be sure to help educate the parents when it comes to our child nutrition requirement. Do you have any suggestions? I have spoken with our nutritionist and her suggestions have been very vague, one carbohydrate, one milk.

Answer:

I would recommend that you follow the recommendations of the Food Guide Pyramid. Snacks for children with diabetes can include healthy and kid friendly foods (fresh fruit, crackers, milk, peanut butter and sugar free jelly sandwiches, etc.). I would focus on smaller portions of foods, especially carbohydrate-rich foods) and use sugar free drinks (Crystal Light, sugar free punch) when using regular sugar drinks for others. It is important to not make the children feel different or left out. Speak with another registered dietitian if you need more specific requirements.

JMS