From California, USA:

I am taking 2.5 mg of Glyburide daily. My fasting blood sugars are usually between 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] and 165 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], but my A1c tests are always between 5 and 6. My doctor relies mainly on the long term tests and is satisfied that I am doing okay. I read a recent article on the ADA web site that indicates that the short term tests have more validity than the long term tests in diagnosing diabetes. I'm confused.

The A1c is the "gold standard" at this time for glucose control. There are other tests such as fructosamine, but it is not as popular and the information is controversial at this time.

I generally use the range between 5 and 6 as a standard in most individuals for A1c levels. I would discuss the shorter term tests with your physicians, but it appears that he/she is doing the right tests at this point.

[Editor's comment: For related information, see Discordance Between HbA1c and Fructosamine. JSH]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Other