Question:

From India:

I am mild diabetic patient. I take metformin, 500 mg, once a day. My BMI (body mass index) is 35. My weight is 100 kilograms (about 225 pounds). I take only one Xenical anti-obesity drug, 120 mg, after my evening meal, which consists of about 800 to 1000 calories. In the morning and at noon, I take only breakfast, then lunch. Is one capsule of metformin and one capsule of Xenical sufficient? Here, in India, Xenical is not available so local doctors are not helpful.

Answer:

No studies were performed on only one pill per day. I would suggest you take the Xenical pill prior to the meal so that it is there and working when you begin the meal, rather than after the meal. The dose of metformin is also very low. I would suggest moving to at least 500 mg twice a day. Please contact your physician about these changes and whether you should act on them.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2