Question:

From Palm Coast, Florida, USA:

Can a high thyroid level cause an increase in blood glucose readings? With my last three tests, my TSH level has gone higher and my A1c levels have also increased. I have had hypothyroidism for 12 years and have had type 2 diabetes for three years.

Answer:

I do not have enough information to answer your question. What are the TSH levels? Have they risen to levels outside the normal range or within the normal range? What is your dose of thyroid hormone? How much have the blood sugars risen? Mild changes in thyroid hormone levels should not impact the blood sugars that much. Larger ones may, but it is still not clear how much.

Posted to Thyroid