From Okara, Pakistan:

My 11 year old son has diabetes and takes insulin three times a day. Is there a way to receive insulin "naturally" and not via injection?

What do you know about the effects of onion. How much insulin can he get from onion?

Is it possible that my son will be cured of diabetes?

I know that you so much want your child to not have diabetes and not require insulin injections. However, I must tell you that there is NO other way currently to receive insulin other than injections. There is research into giving inhaled insulin; there is research into the prospects of orally provided insulin; there has been research into insulin skin patches. NONE of these are standard and remain issues of research with many problems and pitfalls. Even pancreas or insulin-producing cell (called islet cells) transplants are still experimental. Your child will require insulin injections.

Whether the insulin is given twice daily or three times daily, or with a continuous slow infusion with a mechanized device, called an insulin pump, is really dependent upon you, your resources, and the projected plan and expertise of your child's diabetes-care provider. Different insulins have different onset of action and different times to maximal effect. Your doctor can likely mix-and-match insulins to find the most correct combination of insulins that fit your child's meal plans and activities.

As for any beneficial effect of onion, I regret that I have nothing to offer. Human insulin is not derived from onion. Onion has no insulin.

[Editor's comment: For information about efforts to find a cure for diabetes, see our News and Information page. BH]

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Insulin