From Massachusetts, USA:

I am a 26 year old female diagnosed with hypoglycemia a year ago after three years of misdiagnosis. Even with a proper diet, I have the tendency to nearly pass out about once or twice a year and can get quite 'shaky' if I stray from the diet even slightly. I am worried that my hypoglycemia will turn into type 1 or 2 diabetes in the future if not monitored. My mother was recently diagnosed with type 2. Should I purchase a glucose monitor for myself to monitor my blood sugar and, if so, how often should it be done?

Also, I feel that my short term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. During a traumatic brain injury course at graduate school, I learned that hypoglycemia is a cause of acquired brain injury, mainly impairing memory and attention. How much of an impact does hypoglycemia have on memory and how can further memory loss be prevented?

Although it is commonly stated that reactive hypoglycemia may be a precursor to type 2 diabetes, it is not really well documented. Many people with this condition do not develop type 2 diabetes. There is no evidence that monitoring the condition with blood sugars help to prevent symptomatic episodes or the onset of diabetes. My recommendation would be to see your physician on a regular basis, adopt a healthy lifestyle, and use your diet to avoid symptoms.

I am not aware that any data exists regarding brain damage resulting from reactive hypoglycemia. I would anticipate it would be difficult to show such problems as the severity of the episodes are not as severe as what are seen with type 1 diabetes on insulin therapy. In those patients, it is difficult to show changes in psychological testing or intelligence.