Question:

From California, USA:

I recently had a oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and got the following results: fasting - 86 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L]; 30 minutes - 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L]; one hour - 141 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]; two hours - 92 mg/dl [5.1 mmol/L]; and three hours - 45 mg/dl [2.5 mmol/L]. I am concerned about the 30 minute reading being double my fasting blood sugar and the final low reading.

Recently, after eating meals, my left foot beings to sting and tingle a bit. Then, after three hours, I feel lightheaded. It seems like a sharp rise in blood sugar followed by low sugar levels after three hours, just like the test.

What do you think about this? I am very concerned.

Answer:

The test confirms normal glucose tolerance. It is not predictive of the clinical case of hypoglycemia. Previous published literature suggests the OGTT is neither necessary nor sufficient for diagnosing reactive hypoglycemia. If you feel you have symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia (low sugars after a meal), see your physician and ask them about obtaining nutritional counseling in an effort to avoid the symptoms.

Posted to Type 2