From Sagamore Hills, Ohio, USA:

I am a dietetic student who just finished working at a camp for children with type 1 diabetes. As part of the staff, we were all given blood glucose monitors to help check the kids (even though I don't have diabetes). We were allowed to keep the monitors, so I have been doing some random blood glucose checks being curious person.

Yesterday, about thirty to forty minutes after eating, I decided to do a check and my blood sugar was 215 mg/dl [11.9 mmol/L]. Can conditions cause my blood to be so high and not be diabetic? I am confused on the whole issue. I checked it again today about 30 minutes after dinner and it was 180 mg/dl [10/0 mmol/L]. Basically, I am worried because, from what I understand, a person living without diabetes should not have blood glucose levels so high at any time (even right after eating because their insulin should kick in instantly and not allow the levels to rise so much). Should I be concerned?

I guess I should tell you I do not have family history of type 1 or 2 diabetes in my family. I am 21 years old and have a BMI of 23. Therefore, I am at a healthy weight so I don't have a concern about type 2.

There are a number of possible explanations for your high sugar. One is that you had some "sweet" food on your hands. You should always wash your hands before testing. Another possibility is that your meter and/or test strips are not working properly. For example, could your test strips have been exposed to extreme heat? Or, lastly you may actually have diabetes. Why don't you have a fasting blood sugar done by a laboratory to get to the bottom of this?