Question:

From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I am on an insulin pump and take between 22 and 27 units of insulin per day. I also have a low thyroid, but I am taking medication. I am having a hard time losing weight. I am trying to lose 30 pounds, as was recommended by my doctor. Does having type 1 diabetes make it harder for me to lose weight? Should I use the same weight loss guidelines that a non-diabetic would use to lose weight, i.e. 1200 to 1300 calories and exercise? What are your suggestions?

Answer:

It is best to be at a healthy weight as this helps with cardiovascular prevention (effects blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar). The goals would be similar to a person without diabetes. I agree that weight loss should be carried out gradually over time to be healthy--no crash diets. I would request the help of a dietician to help with this. They can give you a target weight, calorie goal, and help you with suggestions on how to get there. One to two pounds per week is what is recommended. If successful, you will note a decrease in your insulin requirements. Please keep track of this as you will have to decrease your insulin dosing.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss