Question:

From South Portland, Maine, USA:

I was recently informed that I have a high amount of sugar in my blood and also have high blood pressure. At the time, I am not a diabetic and don't want to be. The main thing is my blood pressure. I was just informed about a new product called Arginine to help my blood pressure/blood flow in my body. Would it be okay to use this supplement while having high blood sugar?

Answer:

I am not a proponent of using a nutritional substitute that does not have strong scientific evidence to back up any claims about being used for the treatment of high blood pressure.

[Editor's comment: You may wish to read Oral arginine reduces systemic blood pressure in type 2 diabetes: its potential role in nitric oxide generation, a study with which Dr. Lane was not familiar. BH]