From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

My son is five years old and has type 1 diabetes. His pediatrician says he is seven pounds underweight, but my son eats and eats, never gaining weight. He was diagnosed in July 2003 and weighed the same. What can you suggest? Is this due to the insulin he takes once a day?

A single insulin shot a day is, on the average, not the best treatment can be offered today to a child with type 1 diabetes. I'd recommend a multiple intensified insulin regimen based on a basal insulin such as glargine (Lantus) with lispro (Humalog) or aspart (NovoLog) before meals, adapting the dosages on the basis of blood sugar self-monitoring. The best solution might be to ask for a referral to the nearest pediatric diabetes team where the proper education to modern self-management may be offered to you.

Posted to Other and Insulin Analogs