From Georgetown, Minnesota, USA:

My son, diagnosed in 1996, is about to start his senior year in high school. Needless to say, I am agonizing and worrying myself sick with the thought of him leaving for college in one short year. He will be living in a dormitory and going to a local college.

He is very independent and takes care of his diabetes for the most part very well. But, I am still worried sick about drinking alcohol, low blood sugars and not having the safety net of his parents, etc. What should I do in the upcoming year to make sure I've done all I can to make this transition as easy as possible?

You have the real concerns of most parents sending their child to college. But, those concerns are amplified because of the diabetes. It sounds like your son has the necessary skills and self care behaviors to do well. Good for you! Here are some additional resources to check into:

1. The Teens and Adults page of the American Diabetes Association web site.

2. Preparing Students with Diabetes for Life at College

Posted to School and Daycare