Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I went in for a physical and my fasting glucose was 116 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L]. The doctor said to "cut down on sweets". I'm a Caucasian, fit, 30-something, male, who eats minimal processed foods, exercises regularly, and has phenomenal cholesterol. So, those results were surprising. The office didn't seem to want to call a 116 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L] "pre-diabetes". I then got another test and the fasting glucose was 101 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] (abnormal, slightly high); A1c was 5.5% (normal, high) and fasting insulin was 3.5 (abnormal, low). The doctor said these results are fine.

I didn't get any clarification on whether a low fasting insulin was bad or good, though, just "abnormal". Do these results make sense? Am I considered healthy or would you recommend more tests? What do they tell you? My blood pressure is also 140/90, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Answer:

It sounds like you may have "pre-diabetes", which is diagnosed with a fasting blood sugar between 100 and 125 mg/dl [5.6 and 6.9 mmol/L]. It's a good thing that you keep yourself fit because the results would probably be much worse if you didn't. I think you should ask your doctor about having a two hour glucose tolerance test where you drink 75 grams of a special glucose solution and have your blood sugar checked every 30 minutes for two hours. Sometimes this test is positive and the fasting blood sugar is still somewhat normal.

JS

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Traveling