Question:

From Charleston, South Carolina, USA:

My 12 year old daughter has had type 1 for a year and has been using an insulin pump for eight months. She sees a great endocrinologist at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), but continues to see a pediatrician, affiliated with MUSC, for other medical issues. The pediatrician wants my daughter to take fish oil caplets with omega fats to help protect her heart. He is recommending this to all his patients who have diabetes. What do you think of this? I asked the pharmacist, who said it couldn't hurt. My daughter has been taking the caplets for a week.

Answer:

I don't think there have been any trials on children/adolescents (which would take years to report anyway). However, omega 3 fatty acids are good for you so, they won't do any harm.