From Valencia, California, USA:

My son is 20 years old, very healthy, pumps iron, break dances and, typically, expends a ton of energy. He has not gotten his carbohydrate calculation tight enough and has given himself too much long lasting insulin a total of four times. We have called the paramedics twice and administered glucagon twice. I am his mother and am a nervous wreck about his miscalculations and not taking his condition seriously. He thinks he is superman because he pumps iron and has a strong body. I am concerned about the effects of these episodes on the long range term of his body. If a healthy 20 year old type 1 diabetic goes into shock and then a coma, how long can he survive until help arrives? If I am not around immediately as it happens (so far, thankfully, I have been), what are his chances of survival?

There are too many different situations in your question. I would suggest that you discuss this directly with your son's physicians since they would know the specifics of his situation. Severe and recurring episodes of hypoglycemia that involve loss of consciousness or seizures are very dangerous and can be associated with brain problems if they persist or are too severe, so you are correct to be concerned.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other