Question:

From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

My two year old son has type 1 diabetes. Is it okay to test his blood sugar using his toes (rotating with his fingers)? His endocrinologist said this is okay for now. Do you agree? I've heard conflicting things about this.

Answer:

I see no problem doing blood sugar testing using the toes, assuming his feet are healthy, as it will spare your son's finger tips. However, if the subject has reduced sensibility or foot lesions, you should avoid taking blood from the toes. But, I think this is probably not the case with your son.