Question:

From Benton, Kentucky, USA:

Due to our insurance changing at my work place, my son will have to change from Humalog to NovoLog in his insulin pump. What are the differences, if any? Can I expect the transition to be problem free? Anything special I should know? He has great control so far.

Answer:

There really isn't good literature on switching, but both work. Indeed, NovoLog is FDA approved for pumps. I don't think you should expect any problems.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

I agree that for all practical purposes, NovoLog and Humalog are equivalent and work similarly. NovoLog may have a little longer lasting effect. In addition, in my experience, NovoLog seems to be a bit less irritating at insertion sites, compared to Humalog.

NovoLog is approved for use in insulin pumps, whereas Humalog had not yet received FDA approval for that. I have been told, but have not personally seen the notification, that Humalog is now approved for pump use also.

[Editor's comment: FDA approved Humalog for use in insulin pumps on June 2, 2004. (Search for "Humalog" on the page to find the specific reference.) BH]

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Insulin Pumps