From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

Over the past two day, my daughter has had unexplained lows that are not able to be raised by the normal amount of sugar we usually give her for lows. In fact, we gave her about 40 grams of carbohydrates in fast acting sugar and her levels would not go up. She is nine years old. Could this be a growth spurt problem or hormonal?

I don't think that what you report is related to growth changes or any other hormonal problem, especially if they last only two days. Does your daughter have any gut related problem? Did you try with a larger dose of fast acting glucose? In fact, another reason your daughter may have gotten into trouble depends on the time of the day she's having hypoglycemia. If she's using a long action profile insulin that tends to keep blood sugar levels low over its peak time, you may not see an increase in the blood sugar despite the ingestion of some sugar. In this case, you should decrease the 'responsible' dose of insulin the next day.