From India:

My 16 month old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was in DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) three months ago. He has been taking a morning dose of 2.5 units of Regular and 7 NPH. At 9 p.m., he has been taking 1.5 units of Regular and 1.5 units of NPH. Can we put my son on Lantus and Humalog?

It is highly advisable, and easily feasible nowadays, to do so because of the modern concepts of intensified insulin regimens, based on glargine (Lantus) as the basal insulin and lispro (Humalog) or aspart (NovoLog) before each meal. This will surely improve the quality of metabolic control and the quality of life of yourself in the present and your son in the future.

Posted to Insulin and Insulin Analogs