From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I am having problems with my eyesight. It is blurred at times and my eyes are watery. I have seen two eye specialists and both treated me for an infection. My eyes are not getting better. My diabetes doctor does not seem to understand; she is very vague. How can I get help or a diagnosis?

The key to getting help, as you recognize, is to get the right diagnosis. There are many types of eye infections, including bacterial, viral and fungal. All are treated differently, and sometimes doctors incorrectly tell patients they have an infection when, in fact, they suffer from inflammation (for which there are numerous causes, including allergy, chemical toxicity, dry eyes, secondary reaction to infection and autoimmune eye disease).

Blurred vision and watery eyes are often the result of "dry eye syndrome, " which is very common in diabetes. This typically is worse at the end of the day. Vision often improves immediately after blinking, and is chronic. I recommend that you see an eye doctor again and ask her/him to tell you specifically what is wrong, the treatment options and the prognosis - ask specifically if you have the conditions mentioned above. I know of two very prominent eye doctors in North Carolina who, I strongly suspect, will be able to help you: Ron Melton, O.D., FAAO, in Charlotte, and Randal Thomas, O.D., FAAO. Both of these gentleman know a ton about diabetes and the eye.