From Columbia, South Carolina, USA:

Yesterday, I noticed a big bowl of assorted candies in my fifth grader's classroom. It sits of an extra desk across from my son's desk. When I asked my son if it is there all the time, he said it is, that the kids get to take some when they do something good. Since my son doesn't eat candy, I want to know if I should be able to request that it be removed from my son's view so he doesn't have to sit there all day looking at it.

It sounds like your son is doing a great job of ignoring the candy. Perhaps the teacher could be persuaded to include other treats other than candy, such as sugar free mints, pencils or small toys. Maybe the classroom parents could help contribute.