From Reading, Massachusetts, USA:

I have a 16 year old son with ADD and a bit of anxiety. He currently takes Strattera and Celexa. For over a year now, he has been getting up in the middle of the night and eating. At first, I attributed it to puberty and growth, etc., but it is persisting despite my telling him nightly to please not get up. He seems to crave things like Pop Tarts and Nutragrain bars. He is also drinking a lot at night.

He recently told me he is sweating terribly while sleeping, to the point of waking up soaked, needing to change his blankets. One other thing I noticed approximately one and a half years ago was a tremor in his hands. He is adopted, so I don't have a family medical history. At his check up this week, his doctor took a urine sample for diabetes and I have not heard from her. I am guessing it may be normal. Now, I wonder could these be signs of a thyroid disorder?

Your pediatrician will be your best resource for determining the cause of your son's many symptoms.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

"Could this be a sign of a thyroid disorder?"

Yes, it could. It also could represent many other less or even more serious (albeit less likely) concerns. You should have your son seen for a full check up with the pediatrician to address these and other concerns. Don't ever forget about odd symptoms perhaps reflecting potential side effects of medication.

[Editor's comment: You may wish to contact your doctor to get the results of your son's urine test. BH]