Question:

From Mumbai, India:

Is there any special diabetic residential school in India or in the United Kingdom? We would like to put our child in such a school so that he lives his life without any restrictions as we cannot provide as much care in 24 hours as a trained nurse can do.

Answer:

I cannot speak for India, but know of no such school in the United Kingdom. However, I would encourage you to seek the advice of a pediatrician with a special interest in diabetes. I am certain there are such people in Mumbai. You must do this before considering sending your child, who I assume is otherwise entirely healthy, to a residential school. I think it would be a big mistake to do this unless circumstances at home make normal child care impossible. Your child obviously will require some skilled assistance with injections and perhaps testing, but otherwise, school teachers, etc. can quickly learn enough to deal with mild hypoglycemia, etc.