From Cleveland, Mississippi, USA:

This morning, my six year old son's his blood sugar was 161 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L] before he went to school. He had not eaten or taken any medicine. Last night, his blood sugar was 129 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] at 8:09 p.m.

I went to the school after he had eaten lunch and his blood sugar was 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. I talked to a nurse at the Diabetes Management Center in my hometown and we scheduled an A1c test after he got home from school. The results came back 4.8. So, that was some relief, but I am still wondering why his blood sugar was elevated.

The second week of August he was out from school for pneumonia. Could this have something to do with what is going on? I am worried out of my mind wondering. He continues to drink a lot of water and eat very little. Could this also be coming from the Risperdal or clonidine that he is taking? I have so many questions, but no answers. How many times do I checked his blood sugar? Will the worrying ever end?

A diagnosis of diabetes cannot be done using a handheld glucometer. I would seek care from your physician who can more appropriately direct any testing/monitoring, if there is a suspicion of diabetes. I would follow up with your pediatrician regularly regarding this.

[Editor's comment: You may also wish to review the Symptoms of Diabetes on our web site. BH]