From Lakeville, Massachussetts, USA:

My grandmother was a diabetic and my father developed it in his 60s. We have a family history of cancer as well as a genetic mutation. My siblings and I have balanced translocation involving the 14th and 21st chromosomes. I have a translocation Down Syndrome daughter. Eight years ago, I developed granuloma annulare. I started running three years ago and fight recurring plantar facitis. Three months ago, I developed trigger finger in my right ring finger. My older brother, who recently developed epilepsy, has also developed trigger finger within the last four months. Does any of this put me at risk for diabetes? Should I see my primary care physician?

Simply by having a grandmother and a father with type 2 diabetes puts you at risk. Yes, you should see your physician for regular screening for diabetes. The trigger finger issue is not specific to diabetes, but occurs when people have diabetes for a prolonged period of time. The chromosomal translocations may not be specific for diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is not usually considered a single gene mutation disease. Keep working on being healthy. That is the best way to avoid the diabetes.

Posted to Type 2