From Paxton, Massachussetts, USA:

I have been a diabetic since I was one and a half years old. I'm now 25. My daughter is 14 months old and, all of a sudden, she has increased drinking, urinating, lethargy, mild weight loss, and is moodier than usual. I tested her blood sugar and it was 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L], which I know is only slightly above normal. I took her to the doctor because I was concerned and they said all that I could do right now is to keep checking her urine for glucose. They said that she was fine until glucose appeared in her urine.

I don't know what to do from here. I know that there is something wrong with my daughter. My mother said that this is exactly what started to happen to me when I was her age. What direction do I take this in or, do I just sit and wait? I want to help her in every way that I can.

Sadly, it does sound as if she is developing diabetes. The crux is that your daughter does not need any treatment unless/until she is diagnosed with diabetes. I think that the best thing to do is to have a very low threshold for taking her back and, in the meantime, keep monitoring.

[Editor's comment: Please read Diagnosis of Diabetes and note that the blood sugars listed are those measured by a laboratory, not a home moitor. BH]