From Guernsey, Channel Islands:

My two and a half year old daughter was diagnosed 16 months ago and she is still not stable. She has been on Lantus and NovoRapid but recently been changed to Levemir as the long acting insulin. This seems to have made no difference and, in fact, her sugars are probably worse. I have also noticed that her hypoglycemia symptoms seem to have lessened, she has put on weight, and is more moody. I'm not sure if this is the correct insulin for her and would appreciate any advise.

I think that the major problem is that very young children are extremely variable in their activity, so getting the insulin regimen and dose right is tricky. However, I think that a basal-bolus (multi-injection) system such as you describe is very suitable. All I can suggest is that you discuss this with your daughter's diabetes team. I don't know what level of support you receive in the Channel Islands, but you may have to consider seeking a second opinion on the "mainland". Having said that, a regimen of Levemir and NovoRapid is state of the art.

Posted to Insulin Analogs